What is the Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service?
The Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service reviews charities against the Council of Better Business Bureau’s 20 Standards for Charity Accountability and serves 18 Texas counties.
Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service's mission is to promote public confidence in local charities and encourage charitable giving. We provide the public with information on specific charities and wise giving practices and also advise charities on how to meet and maintain high ethical standards of operation.
Each year, Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service:
- Reviews hundreds of charities to determine if each charity meets the Better Business Bureau's Standards for Charity Accountability.
- Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service then produces a report with its determination and summary of the charity's mission, activities, governance and key financial information.
- Charity reports are updated every year, so we can confirm organizations are continually meeting the BBB’s Standards.
We publish all our reports, on over 500 charities, in full, on our web site. It is used by the general public, Better Business Bureau of Houston and South Texas member companies, foundations, individual donors and members of the local press.
The BBB’s Wise Giving Reports are a great resource to learn about a charity BEFORE you give.
- To search for a specific charity, click here. Or if you would like to see a complete list of charities, go here. If you would like information about a charity over the telephone, please contact us at 713-868-9500.
- Charities are selected for coverage at their request or as a result of donor inquiry. If your organization would like to become part of the Houston & South Texas Charity Information Service, please visit How to Create a Report on Your Charity for more information.
- If you are a potential donor and have not been able to find the charity you are interested in on our website, please feel free to contact us. If we do not have a report on the charity, we will contact it and consider adding it to the program.